This was an interesting but not spectacular trip. First, the ship. The ship was fine, the staff was very accommodating. I wound up in a handicapped cabin which was huge. This was my third Celebrity cruise in the past 2 1/2 years and once again I was very disappointed in the food. It was mostly bland. I don't know if Michel Roux's departure is the reason for this. The beef dishes were very good. I ate once in the S.S. United States and it was wonderful. It had the kind of food which used to be standard on Celebrity. I had a Goat Cheese Souffle that was scrumptious, followed by a delicious Steak Diane and then finished with an out of this world Chocolate Souffle and a specialty coffee. Of course with wine it cost almost $80 for my date and I. We lingered for almost 3 hours.
Life on the ship was good. Plenty of activities e.g. trivia, enrichment seminars, dance lessons. The music throughout the ship was fantastic. I was very impressed. The shows were just O.K.
The ports were not very memorable except for seeing the penguins, but this required a 2 hour bus ride through barren countryside. All of the "better" excursions were 6-8 hours and usually upwards of $100 with lots of bus time. The buses were modern.
Montevideo was nice and the trip to the winery for tasting and lunch was good, although the beef was stringy. We went through the fjords and around Cape Horn. We had been told it could be rough but we had smooth sailing all the way. Our view of the glaciers was poor. From our viewpoint they looked like beginning ski slopes in Vermont. Nothing comparable to Alaska. The other ports were little towns and each had the town square which were enjoyable. We docked in Valparaiso and then took a tour up the coast to Santiago where we drove around the city. The ride up the coastline was the prettiest part of the trip. Riding along the Pacific and seeing the waves smash against the rocks. Many condos along the way.
All in all I would say that I wouldn't recommend this to my clients
2 comments:
I found your review of the Infinity to be rather confusing.
The ship was fine- odd way to describe a gorgeous ship. The food bland but the beef dishes were very good. The specialty restaurant was excellent. Music fantastic. Life on the ship was good but you wouldn't recommend it to your clients.
You wouldn't recommend the ship or the itinerary? If you had any clients interested in this itinerary would you talk them out of the itinerary because you didn't like it or because you didn't like the Infinity?
Many people that cruise are very interested in the food on board and Celebrity has always had the reputation for the best. It doesn't deserve it anymore. I don't believe you should have to pay an additional $30 p.p. to get a good meal. As I said, the three Celebrity cruises in a row on which I cruised, the food has been disappointing except for the beef. I prefer to eat very little beef. Almost all the ships are beautiful now. I said I wouldn't recommend Celebrity but I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone if they had their heart set on it.
Post a Comment